Hornsea Pottery - History

1949 Colin and Desmond Rawson started to produce Plaster of Paris giftware at their family home - 4 Victoria Avenue, Hornsea.
Their original product was Toby Jugs
1950 Production moved to rented space at the Old Hall, Market Place. The first building to be used was the conservatory. The Rawson brothers also took on their first employee Michael Walker  
1954 The Hornsea Pottery Company Limited was officially registered

There were now 64 employees and production was started at Desmond Rawson's new home - The Vicarage, Ulrome

The Pottery moved to the Edenfield Works site in Marlborough Avenue. This was originally part of the Brick & Tile Works of J A Wade

1958 Retail shop opened in Market Place, Hornsea. This eventually closed in 1969  
1968 A Friden 5610 Computyper computer was purchased to handle invoicing
1970 New main entrance on Rolston Road was opened
1976 Princess Margaret visited the Hornsea factory (22nd May)
New works at Lancaster opened by Brian Rix
1977 "Two Doves" logotype launched  
1979 "Minidale" model village opened  
1984 Company went into receivership and was purchased by Alexon
(a clothing company based in Newcastle)
1999 Colin Rawson died  
2000 Pottery finally closed

This building was demolished in 2006