Hornsea Timeline

under construction
     
1267 Market Charter granted by Henry III  
1466 2nd Market Charter granted by Edward IV  
15th c St Nicholas Church
Newbegin
 
1595 Hornsea Mere purchased by Marmaduke Constable
of Wassand Hall
 
1674 Low Hall (White House)
Southgate
 
1714 St Nicholas Church (wooden) spire blown down  
1782 St Nicholas Church roof blown off by hurricane.
East window blown in
 
1808 Independent Chapel
Southgate

Replaced in 1874 - currently for sale

 
1821 Population 790  
1831 Population 780  
1845 National School
Mereside
 
1848 Infants' School
Westgate
 
1857 First RNLI Lifeboat - "B Wood"
 
 
1860s Westgate House  
1864 Primitive Methodist Chapel
Market Place
 
New Lifeboat - "B Wood 2"  
1865 Hornsea Pier Company formed  
1866 Gas Works erected by the Hornsea Gas, Light
and Coke Co
 
1867 St Nicholas Church restored under the direction
of Sir G. Gerald Scott at a cost of 3500
 
1869

Public Rooms Company formed

Public Rooms
Newbegin

Concert hall was capable of seating 600

Hornsea Gazette founded (qv 1901)  
1870 Wesleyan Chapel
Newbegin
 
1874 Congregational Church
(United Reform Church)
New Road
 
1875 Wesleyan Sunday School
Newbegin
 
New Lifeboat - "Ellen and Margaret of Settle"  
1877 Grosvenor Gardens (now Memorial Gardens) laid out as a private square gardens for the use of home owners whose properties overlooked the garden  
1879 Waterworks erected  
1883 No. 3 Battery 1st East Riding of Yorkshire Artillery Volunteers
formed
 
1884 School Board formed Drill Hall erected for
No. 3 Battery 1st East Riding of Yorkshire Artillery Volunteers
1885 Southgate Cemetery  
Convalescent Home
(Victoria Hospital for Sick Children at Hull)
 
1887 Parish Rooms
Newbegin
 
New Lifeboat - "Ellen and Margaret of Settle 2"  
1891 Promenade with seats and shelters on North Cliff  
1894/95 Hornsea Urban District Council
succeeded the Local Board of Health
 
     
     
     
1900 Freemasons - Alexandra Lodge, Alexandra Road
opened 17th January
 
1901 Population 2381 Hornsea Gazette ceased publication
1902 New vestry at Parish church was dedicated (4th June)  
1903 Hull to Hornsea railway became double tracked

National Telephone Company installed a line connecting the Waterworks with the council offices in the Public Rooms. This was the second private line in Hornsea - the other connected two grocery shops owned by William Parker

 

Hornsea School Board disbanded - both schools now the responsibility of East Riding County Council
1913 Floral Hall was opened on the 7th July 1913. Contractors were : Joinery & mason work - J K Barr & Sons of Hornsea : Roof & glazing - W H Heywood & Co of Huddersfield.  
Imperial Hydro Hotel opened. It comprised 60 bedrooms, lounge, dining room and a  "Palm Court"

Remains of Anglo Saxon burial ground discovered on the site of the Imperial Hydro Hotel

 
Rose Carr died  
1920 Hall Garth park opened  
1924 The RNLI lifeboat was withdrawn and the lifeboat station in Burton Road became the fire station  
1926 East Yorkshire Motor Services (EYMS) started regular bus services to Hornsea from other towns in the East Riding  
1927 Elim Lodge on Cliff Road was purchased and became the Town Hall  
1931 Hornsea & District Bulletin published  
1965 Fire Station, Southgate
     
1970s Memorial Gardens (1877) became the responsibility of the Town Council  
     
1973 Nursery School, Newbegin  
Police Station, Parva Road
Old Police Station converted to offices for Holderness District Council  
1974 Local Government reorganisation
Hornsea becomes part of Holderness Borough Council

This comprised the municipal borough of Hedon, Hornsea UDC, Withernsea UDC and the Holderness Rural District

It was based in Skirlaugh

Holderness Borough Council was abolished in 1996 and the functions were transferred to the East Riding of Yorkshire Council

   
Town council established with 12 elected members. The old lifeboat station on Burton Road becomes the Town Hall  
1975 Library opens  
1978 Hornsea Museum opens
(The North Holderness Museum of Village Life)

Burns Farm, Newbegin, HU18 1AB
01964 533433

Website
http://www.hornseamuseum.com/portal.htm

Photos of many of the exhibits (eRiding Media Library)http://www.eriding.net/media/Hornsea_Museum.shtml

 

John Burns, Weaver

1981 Hornsea twinned with La Grand Motte, France

1982 Hornsea Gazette commences publication
Previously published as an edition of the Holderness gazette
 
1985 Wilbur's Market opened
(closed September 2009)
 
1987 Hornsea & District Post commences publication  
1990 Imperial Hydro Hotel (Granville Court)
demolished after being damaged by a fire
 
1995 Hornsea Freeport shopping village opens

 
1996 Local Government reorganisation
Hornsea becomes part of the East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Hornsea Leisure Centre opens
1997 Willows Old People's Home demolished  
2000 Hornsea Pottery closes  
2006 Luigi's Restaurant closes
2007 Hall Garth Park entrance, Eastgate  
2008 Memorial Gardens (1877) redesigned incorporating a new War Memorial  
2009    
2010